This time I around I bit the bullet and cut my Gabby Dress pattern to a size smaller, so this dress is pretty much a size M all over, rather than the L I usually make and take in about 100 times until it fits. I could probably make a size S, but let's not go too crazy. I left the shoulders at a size L as I didn't want the arm holes to be too small. Wise move.
The fabric I used is from Tessuti (bought on sale at for 30% off). I do like this fabric (it's very cozy to wear), but am also wondering if it looks a bit like the bed quilt fabric from the 80s...or maybe brocade curtains?
I often find the short sleeves on this dress (or any dress) quite difficult to finish as I have to maneuver the sleeves through my overlocker and sewing machine. This time I overlocked the raw sleeve edge and sewed the sleeve hem before I sewed up the side seam. I'm sure this is cheating, but it was a stress-less way for me to finish my sleeves so I'm happy with it.
I'm really cross at myself for not adding a neckband to this dress as the neck has stretched out which is the primary reason I'm not loving the dress. It feels...homemade, in a bad way. When I noticed the neck had stretched I did steam it vigorously with the iron, and give it a wash in the machine and a turn in the dryer and it has shrunk a bit, but it's still wonky. I wonder if I could add a neckband retrospectively...or if I should make this dress into something else (not sure what yet).
In other exciting sewing news I visited Tessuti today and am finally the proud owner of a Tailor's Ham! Curved seams are totally going to be my bitch now *insert evil laugh*!
Pattern: "Gabby Dress" by Tessuti
Size: M, sewn with 3/8" seam allowance and left at a size L at the shoulders. The hem is 1"(behold my knees people)!
Fabric: Cotton/Poly/Elastaine from Tessuti
Changes for next time: ADD A NECKBAND YOU WALLY!